Pregnancy Week 12

Saturday January 7, 2017
I was actually feeling okay today.  I managed to get up and get a few things accomplished.  It wasn’t much, but it was more than I had expected, so I was grateful.  I was also incredibly hungry, so I ate a fair amount of food throughout the day.  Maybe the baby is going through a growth spurt or something.  Around mid-afternoon, though, my energy level just crashed.  I just laid down on the couch and napped on and off for the rest of the day.  Well, at least I had a little energy for some time.

Sunday January 8, 2017
I woke up, got up, and transferred to the couch, but I didn’t do or eat anything.  I probably played on my phone for a while or watched some tv.  I just remember feeling worse and worse with every hour that passed.  I was feeling truly wretched when Kyle woke up and didn’t want to make me anything for breakfast.  I dragged myself off of the couch and drove to a diner where I could order some quick food.

I felt less nauseous when I got home, but my head was still feeling swimmy and “off” so I laid back down on the couch.  That’s pretty much where I spent the remainder of the day.  I feel like such a lazy freeloader.  Kyle is the one who does the dishes, scoops the cat litter, and attempts to keep our apartment clean.  While all I do when I’m home is lay on the couch and nap intermittently.  It really bothers me.  I said something to him about it and he said that it evened out because I make more money and that I do help when I can.  It’s just that I really can’t lately and he understands.  He said that my body is worn out with growing a baby human and that’s okay because soon we’re going to have a son or daughter.  He can be so sweet sometimes!

We stayed up late together just watching movies and cuddling on the couch.  My sex drive has been non-existent since I got pregnant.  Even before I knew about it, I just wasn’t in “the mood”.  So far, Kyle has been very understanding about that too!

Monday January 9, 2017
When I got to work today, I noticed that my classroom was colder than usual.  I do know that they shut off the heat over the weekend, so assumed that they had just turned it on later than usual and that soon enough my classroom would be heated.  That wasn’t the case.  I taught my classes in my coat.  In fact, I never even took off my coat to teach my first few classes!  I had lessons planned that would allow me to rest every so often because I knew I still tended to get nauseous and dizzy.  However, to keep my students warm, I did some lessons on the art of movement.  I was surprised that I could handle it, but I mostly did.  Even stranger, I didn’t fall asleep during the art documentary later in the day like I did last week.

When I got home, I felt like I couldn’t get warm.  It was probably because I had taught in the cold all day.  It took a lot of time, but eventually, I did warm up and was able to nap.

Tuesday January 10, 2017
Today we had heat at work.  In fact, my classroom was more like a sauna than anything.  After yesterday, I didn’t care how hot it was, so long as there was heat!  Today went well, even though I still couldn’t quite focus on getting stuff done.  I still have a bit of a to-do list that I couldn’t get to, despite theoretically having the time to do it.  I just couldn’t focus.  I did the bare minimum and made sure that my lesson plans were done and my photocopies were made, but I didn’t get to some of the other stuff that will need to be done eventually.

As always, I went home and took a nap.  When I woke up, I got the mail and saw that I had a bill from the lab company from November.  They charged $399 more than the insurance paid.  I was hoping that there was a mistake or something.  The problem was that I will always have other people around because I share my room with the music teacher on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, so I won’t even be able to look into it until next week.

Wednesday January 11, 2017
Kyle woke me up in the middle of the night, clearly terrified.  He was sitting straight up, but somehow he was still stuck in some kind of dream.  He kept saying things like “the road is too narrow” and “the people are going to get hurt”.  I wasn’t sure if it was something related to his seizures or not.  I wasn’t sure if I should leave him alone, try to wake him up, or try to comfort him.  I tried to tell him that it wasn’t real, that he was dreaming, but he didn’t seem to hear me.  I tentatively put my arm around him and he clung onto it like it was the difference between life and death.  We stayed like that and eventually my words seemed to get through to him.  It took him a long time to calm down and eventually we both went back to sleep.

When I woke up, I decided to confide in a coworker at my school.  I decided to tell her that I was pregnant and ask her what she thought the best course of action is.  She seems to be very tuned into the politics of this particular school whereas I can never guess how people are going to react.  She somehow guessed that I was pregnant.  It was probably because of how quickly into our relationship we got “married”.  She recommended that I talk to someone from the union first, then tell our principal.  Thankfully, the way the due date is set up, I won’t have to take any time off.  The main problem is to explain the difference between my marriage date and due date to a very conservative community.  I breezed through the day, nervous about how things would go with the union rep.

I couldn’t nap when I got home.  I was too worried about things, including that lab bill.  It wasn’t just that bill, which I could pay if I really scrimped this month, but the bills I haven’t gotten for the other labs that have been taken since then.   When I did get her on the phone, I was surprised to find that it wasn’t even a long conversation.  She said the main problem is to not violate the “scandal clause” in the contract.  She said it would be easily done if I just tell people I’m due in “late summer”.  It seemed like it could work, but I was a bit dubious because my principal can be so difficult about certain things and so supportive about others.  I hoped she’d be supportive this time.

Thursday January 12, 2017
I had another long day today.  I made sure to go in early so I could talk to the principal.  She seemed to take the news very well, especially since she wouldn’t have to worry about me taking time off.  Then she put two and two together and realized that my “marriage” date and my due date didn’t line up.  She didn’t say anything else, so I was hoping that it would be okay.  I worried for a little while about what that would mean for me, but then I got distracted by my multitude of classes today.

Then I had my dance rehearsal.  Everything went really well and I got a lot done.  I was feeling pretty good about life and the dance production by the end of the rehearsal.  I even went home in a good mood.

Friday January 13, 2017
I had a half day followed by a faculty meeting.  They provided pizza for lunch.  Normally, I’d have one or two slices, but I was just so ravenous that I ate three. I have been really hungry all week.  I had two plates of nachos with cheese every day for breakfast and it just went downhill from there.  I wanted to eat less and better food, but I was just so hungry all of the time.

I had a doctor’s appointment today so I had asked my principal if I could leave early, at 2:30, then I realized that if I was going to pick up Kyle at the train station, I should leave earlier.  I left at 2:15 instead, figuring nobody would notice.  As I was pulling away from the school, I got a phone call from a coworker saying that the principal was looking for me.  I hoped I wasn’t going to be in trouble because of it.  I got an email from my principal asking why I left early.  I responded trying to excuse myself the best that I could, but I’m just worried that I got on her bad side.

The doctor’s appointment went really well.  I found out that the NIPT came back negative.  The baby is negative for all of the chromosomal abnormalities they tested for!  I wasn’t really worried, but I was still relieved to find out.  The best part was the ultrasound.  I not only got to look at the baby, but I got to watch him move around for quite awhile.  They were trying to get the measurement for the back of the head for Downs Syndrome, which seemed odd and unnecessary to me since I already got the NIPT, but I didn’t protest because it meant I got to see the baby.  He moved around quite a bit and they had to wait until he was facing exactly the right way. It took awhile, so I got to watch him moving around and even saw him move his arms.  While we waited, Kyle tried to get me to find out the sex of the baby. I’ve gotten in the habit of calling the baby “him”, but we really don’t know what the sex is.   If we’re having a girl, I really don’t want tons of pink, frilly dresses.  If we’re having a boy, I don’t want tons of sports jerseys.  So I remained firm and told them not to tell us.  I got two pictures from the ultrasound.

When we got home, we posted one of the ultrasounds on Facebook and decided to announce our pregnancy to our friends, in general.  We got tons of congratulations, which was nice.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s